Sunday, May 07, 2006


Fibonaccissimo...

I was very glad to receive few comments about my previous post, especially the one from Gregory K. Thank you! I was thinking more about these Fibonacci poems, and I feel now that I understand why they can be so attractive. They start with a very fast rhythm and then evolve progressively to a slower one. This means three things: (1) they get you fast into the center of the poem (vertically of course, even though you've only read few syllables), (2) they provide you with the necessary progression in feeling until you get to the main statement, which is stated in a relatively slow rhythm giving it more importance (therefore I think a successful Fib must contain such statement), and (3) they eventually become free text (when cutting is much easier,well I am not sure is it?) so you can freely read more elaboration on the statement. Therefore, I think writing Fibs should be done with the above 3 points in mind. For those who know the story of Fibonacci, here's an example:

thus
born
sure.ly
from rab.bits,
the Fi.bo.na.cci:
of all se.quen.ces, most di.vine

In no time, you hit the word rabbits, but on the way, you feel the progression as if something will happen. Then you reach the Fibonacci, with slower rhythm. Finally, of all sequences most divine, the main statement, is stated very carefully. Of course the poem can continue now more freely with a slower rhythm. However, simply cutting text into the Fib form will not have the appropriate effect. Therefore, I think a nice Fib will have to stop at some length, say 13 or 21 or maybe 34. But then restart with another section. Or it can retract, e.g. 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 13 8 5 3 2 1 1 and restart.

I don't have much feel to the haiku 5-7-5, as Mirvat mentioned. But here's a desperate trial (and we are in the Spring season now):

rab.bits mul.ti.ply
much fas.ter than the blos.soms:
how Fi.bo.na.cci?

I love Fibonacci what can I say? So this haiku is composed of two sections, where each section explains the other. Moreover, the word "blossoms" should give a hint to Spring.

Let me know what you think, and if you have other ways of interpreting Fibonacci poems.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ghassan said...

arnab arnab arnabo wa salem 3alay?

11:51 AM  
Blogger saad said...

he he :)

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home