Saturday, May 06, 2006

Fibonacci and Racine

After two weeks of observing blogs, starting from http://ontothesea.blogspot.com (my cousin), I found that many people post poems on their blogs. So I thought why not do the same. And being who I am, not a poet at all, I said to myself, well, let me first start with a structure, and then I can fill in the blancs... Apparently a very good way of making poetry! Structure is definitely a good thing. So I decided to bring in my old friend Fibonacci. I will base the poems on the Fibonacci sequence.

Fib(0) = Fib(1) = 1
Fib(n) = Fib(n - 1) + Fib(n - 2) n >= 2


So my poem will look like this:
1 word
1 word
2 words
3 words
5 words
8 words
...
Surprisingly, last month (April 1), http://gottabook.blogspot.com/2006/04/fib.html thought about a similar construction: The Fib.
1 syllable
1 syllable
2 syllables
3 syllables
5 syllables
8 syllables
...
And guess what... It got very famous! I think the use of syllables in the construction is better than words... After all it's poetry! But I think I would have guessed it once I started writing few poems. Apparently, Fibs existed even before, e.g. http://goldennumber.net/poetry.htm.

Anyway, just to credit myself, here's a poem that follows both structures (well the trick is to use 1 syllable words only):

blog
blog
who's there
it's me Fib
give me the pass word
it's one one two three five eight thirt...
stop right here, you may post your blog dear, where have you been?
lost the way, but all I want to say: "le jour n'est pas plus pur que le fond of mon coeur"


The last 12 words/syllables are taken from Racine as I recall... which by themseleves constitute a five line Fib of 1 1 2 3 5 words/syllables respectively.

le
jour
n'est pas
plus pur que
le fond of mon coeur

So even Racine did it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ghassan said...

I am going to try it... will let you know.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Greg Pincus said...

I started with syllables but also played around with words instead. I'd say either can work.

There are lots of other interesting structured forms of poetry, too, but I think Fibonacci-based is probably the most defined I've run into.

Thanks for the link. And nice Fibbing, too.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you should try a haiku, i couldn't do a 5-7-5 that would be of any artistic value at the same time..

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home